Dragon Age Inquisition is an action role-playing game published by the Electronic Arts and developed by Bioware. It is a sequel to the earlier released the Dragon Age: Origins and the third major extension in the Dragon Age franchise. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PlayStation worldwide in November of 2014. However, many reports have been reported quite recently in the game that “Dragon Age Inquisition Won’t Launch”.
Even after trying to run the application multiple times, the Dragon Age Inquisition Won’t Launch. Here, you will be informed about some of the causes due to which Dragon Age Inquisition not launching problem can occur. We will also provide you with some solutions to ensure that your problem is solved with ease.
What Prevents Dragon Age: Inquisition From Launching?
- Background Services: A service running in the background could be one of the causes of the issue. Sometimes, some other third-party applications or even Windows services can cause the problem by restricting the game elements from functioning correctly.
- Missing Files: There are instances when some game files can become corrupted or even go missing. All the game files are necessary for it to launch and function correctly. This is why if even a single file is missing, the game won’t launch correctly or cause arguments in the game.
- Direct X/VC Redist: Along with the game, you also get Direct VC and X Redist within the game installation folder. However, the version of Direct X or VC Redist that you have installed may be preventing the game from launching by coinciding with the game. This might also be why the Dragon Age Inquisition is crashing to the desktop while it is launched.
- Administrative Privileges: The game also requires some administrative privileges so that its elements could run correctly. If the game has not been provided with those privileges, many issues can occur with its functionality.
- Full-Screen Optimizations: Some cases had the full-screen optimization feature of the Windows. This was introduced so that the game can run as a “borderless Window.” It also helps to smoothen the gameplay that might interfere and prevent the game from launching due to certain elements.
- Compatibility: There is another possible cause for the error, the game’s incompatibility with Windows 10. Many of us know that there are some programs that are not adjusted to the architecture of the Windows 10 properly and hence cause issues. However, Windows 10 also includes a feature. In this, for the previous versions of Windows, you can run any application in compatibility mode.
How to Fix Dragon Age Inquisition Won’t Launch in Windows 10
1. Running A Clean Boot
More than often your Windows services or some additional third-party applications can restrict the elements of the game from performing correctly, therefore, causing the problem in launching and proper functioning of the game For that:
- As an administrator, log in to the computer.
- Go to the Windows Search bar and type “msconfig” in. Now press Enter to search.
- Search for the option “Services” and click on it. Now check the box saying, “Hide all Microsoft Services.”
- Click on the option “Disable All” once you find it. This will help you disable all the third party services, and stop them from running in the background.
2. Verifying Game Files
Often, Windows services or even other third-party applications can prevent all the game elements from functioning correctly, therefore causing the problem. In this step, we are going to boot Windows without any unnecessary Windows Services running
- Log in to the computer as an administrator.
- Click on the Windows Search bar, type in “msconfig” and press Enter
- Click on “Services” and checkthe “Hide all Microsoft Services” box.
- Now click on “Disable All” to disable all the third party services from running in the background.
- Now Rebootyour computer
- Runthe game and check to see if the error persists.
- Now Rebootyour computer
- Runthe game and check to see if the error persists.
3. Verifying Game Files
Sometimes, we also see that certain game files become corrupted or even go missing. In order for the game to launch function properly, all the game files are necessary. This is the reason if even a single file goes missing the game won’t launch correctly and cause problems in the game. In this method, you will verify the files of the game with the following steps:
- Open the Origin client and sign in into your account. Search for the “Game Library” on the left pane. Click on it.
- Inside the “Game Library” tab, find the option “Dragon Age” and right-click on it. Now, choose “Repair Game.”
- This will begin to verify the game files.
- After this process, any missing files will automatically be downloaded and the corrupted files if any will be replaced.
- Now, run the game to check if the Dragon Age Inquisition crash on startup problem still persists.
4. Reinstalling the Direct X and VC Redist
The Direct X and VC Redist are usually equipped with the game in the game installation folder. It is quite possible that the version of Direct X or VC Redist that was installed might be coinciding with the game and preventing it from launching. Therefore, in this step, you will be installing the Direct X and VC Redist, which is recommended, by the following steps:
- Go to the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\__Installer\direct\redist
- You will find “DXSetup.exe” there. Run it and replace the prior versions.
- Now, Go to the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\__Installer\vc
- Find the “VCRedist.exe” and run all of the executables that you find inside the folder. Now replace the prior versions.
- Restart your computer to check whether the problem still exists.
5. Granting Administrative Privileges
The game might require administrative privileges for some of its elements to function correctly. If the game has not been granted those privileges it can lead to many issues with its functionality. In this step, we are going to be granting the game administrative privileges. For that:
- Search for the gameinstallationfolder and once you get it, right-click on the game executable.
- Go to Properties. Here you will find the compatibilitytab. Click on it.
- Once inside the Compatibility tab, find the “Run as Administrator” box and check it
- Run the game to check whether the problem still exists.
6. Disabling Full-Screen Optimizations
In some cases, to run the game as “borderless windows”, the full-screen optimization feature of the Windows was introduced. However, this property smoothens the gameplay but it might be the one interfering with certain elements of the game thus causing the problem and preventing it from launching. You might want to disable the Full-screen optimization by the following steps to see the cause of the problem:
- Go to the gameinstallation folder.
- Find the game executable and Right–Clickon it.
- Go to the Properties. Click on the tab saying “Compatibility”.
- Inside the Compatibilitytab, you will find the “Disable Full Screen Optimizations” box; check it.
- Now click on apply.
- Runthe game to check if the Dragon Age Inquisition crash on start up problem still persists.
7. Troubleshooting Compatibility
Some games, as we know, don’t entirely support the structure of the Windows 10. This might also be the reason that you often run into issues while trying to launch that or while playing it. Therefore we will be using the Windows troubleshooting tool in this step. This is to determine the best operating system version for running the game on. For this method:
- Go to the game installation folder.
- Go to the game executable and right click on it. Select the properties tab.
- Go to the “Compatibility” tab, and once you find the “Run Compatibility Troubleshooter” tab click on it.
- After the above step, your Windows will automatically determine the best operating system that is most compatible to run the game.
- Click on “Test”. This is after you select “Try Recommended Settings”.
- Now once you see that the program runs well, click on apply the settings and exit.
- Now run the game to check if the Dragon Age Inquisition Won’t Launch problem persists.
8. Disabling Antivirus
In some cases, we have also seen that some people use third-party antivirus. Although this isn’t bad, these programs sometimes raise false alarms, preventing a safe program from launching. This is why you are often recommended to entirely disable your antivirus or your anti-malware and any other security application.
Now you should check if the game launches perfectly or not. We also actively suggest you add exceptions to the Firewall and Antivirus. This might prove well for both your game and origin. For this, you could add steam and DAI instead of steam.
The above methods might help you resolve your issues regarding the game launching and proper functioning.